Next Meeting: April 10, 2018
Meeting Time: General Meeting: 6:30 PM.
Meeting Place: White Cliffs Senior Living
3600 Peterson Road
Mohave County Gemstoners
P.O. Box 3992
Kingman, AZ 86402
This page was last updated: March 19, 2018
For Show Info Go To Events & Links Click On Show Information
PROGRAM, April 10th, 2018
Pat McMahan, noted agate authority
On Tuesday, April 10th, the Gemstoners will be visited by Mr. Pat McMahan of Cottonwood, Arizona. Mr. McMahan has collected agates worldwide for 30 years, and has written an authoritative book on the subject, illustrated with examples of agate from his collection (which consists of more than 8,000 beautiful specimens from more than 550 locations world-wide). There are more than 1250 of his choicest agates illustrated in his book. Many agate collectors have acquired their stones from dealers or on the internet, whereas Pat McMahan has dug/collected most of his agates himself. He will have copies of his book for sale after his presentation on “The Agates of Arizona”.
This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about agates from a renowned authority on the subject. We hope to see you there.
Mohave County Gemstoners MINUTES OF THE MEETING 3/13/2018
1.Called to order: 6:35 2.Pledge of Allegiance led by Mary Gann, sergeant-at-arms
3.PRESENTATION ON OXIDE MINERALS by Ed Huskinson, the club’s president. 4.While many sulfides are ore forming, when they are mined they can be hazardous, yet beautiful. Ed passed around samples of iron oxides (hematite) for members to check out. There are some of these minerals nearby at the Mineral Park Mine. He also passed
around samples of goethite, corundum (aka rubies or sapphires (aluminum oxide), several cassiterites (SnO2), rutile (TiO2), spinel, cuprite (CuO2), pyrolusite (MnO2), magnetite (Fe3O4),and brucite (MgOH2)for everyone to examine.
5.Ten minute break for coffee, donut holes, and banana bread (thanks Cat). 6.Field trips/upcoming events:
a. March 17th field trip to Mushroom Jasper near Wickenburg - announcements will be on the web. Approximately 20 Miles from Vulture Mine. May find geodes or apache tears along the way. We will be taking the club’s diamond saw as well. Paul has a spare water tank. Meet at Bashas at 6: am this Saturday.
b. Death Valley slideshow by Cat Van Kampen April 23rd Monday @ 6:30 about an hour long.
c. Death Valley National Park April 27th – 29th $50. See Cat for more info.
d. OUR SHOW-May 5 & 6th @ Kingman Academy of Learning (see flyer for more information). We need volunteers, Bob Peterson or Debrah Rasmussen, we need paint for the kids’ corner. Thank you, Danny, for donating rocks for the kids.
e. Cat has information on a mine with chrysocolla near Searchlight. Check website for more information. Possibly the end of March field
f. Gary Bolles will run the silent auction at the show.
7. Membership report: Aleta indicated that 48 people have paid their dues so far, she will make a list with emails. 8.Treasurers report – Danny Schacht: the club is solvent.
9. Gary and Mary Gann will provide refreshments at the next meeting: Julie Hampson will bring cake, and Tom & Sue will also bring something.
10. We are going to have Pat McMahan (who wrote a book on agates) visiting us next month as our special guest speaker. Pat is an acclaimed author and authority on agates. He will give a presentation on “The Agates of Arizona” and he will have copies of his book available for sale as well. This is something you don’t want to miss.
11. Last month’s meeting minutes were read by Julie, Gary motion to approve, 2nd by Ed, passed by proclamation.
12. Door prizes (6) were awarded by Minerva.
13. Meeting adjourned 8:32. 1ST Julie, 2nd Gary.